Weekly Friday posts are still a thing, probably. My 4/13 project is basically done, aside from the video trailer and some finishing touches. I’m super excited to release it to the world!!!!!
In the countdown to 4/13/2019, the tenth anniversary of Homestuck, a mysterious figure known as “vfromhomestuck”, who took part in the Hiveswap Friendsim and probably its most controversial installment, has been posting a lot about Homestuck on Twitter. Normally the words “Homestuck” and “Twitter” will make me rage if seen together, but this case is way different. V isn’t just doing your usual obnoxious shitposts or fantroll memes. She speaks intelligently about Homestuck and Hiveswap and seems to be a bit reserved about discussing its controversial aspects. V recognizes the dislike fans have for parts of the comic and tends to question their reasoning and motives, or how much they really know at all. The strangest part is that nobody knows who V is outside of her involvement in Homestuck and Hiveswap. It feels strange that she is currently taking the reins of hyping Homestuck material, but it’s also a welcome change of pace from getting info out of Hussie’s more shitposty friends (looking at you, James Roach).
For the past two weeks, V has been hyping up something that must be HUGE, which most people assume is the epilogue. She has posted some mysterious and vague lines that give me a strange form of hope I don’t know if I’ve ever felt before. I’ll go over those tweets in chronological order.
Happy new year! Today marks the start of 2019; the end of a year whose tail end I spent largely returning to Homestuck posts.
Today ALSO marked the release of some brand new Homestuck material, detailing the stories behind the guardians and the Condesce’s time on Earth, especially before the scratch. My reaction to it is as follows:
(Partial) jokes aside, I would go right ahead and write about this new material, but I can’t just yet!!! I will be at MAGFest for the next few days, attending, among hopefully many other things, the SiIvaGunner panel. I’ll probably spend most of my time those days busy with all that stuff.
But after that all happens, I will write two blog posts about the Homestuck content. One with general thoughts, and another comparing in detail the lives of all eight kids—John, Rose, Dave, Jade, Jane, Jake, Roxy, Dirk—against what we now know about their lives across the scratch. I’m super excited to get writing once MAGFest is done! But I’d rather not cram in blog writing during my spare time, such as waiting at the airport, when I go to MAGFest. I have heard that it’s really sad when the event ends, and I can only imagine what state I’ll be in at that point.
I’ll post a lot about MAGFest on my Twitter! This will also be my grand face reveal so look forward to that.
So today was the final update of Homestuck. Except it isn’t quite the ending, since Hussie talked about making a final epilogue in the future. It still left a lot of plot points unresolved and we’ll probably have to wait still more months for the grand epilogue, but that’s besides the point. The point is, I want to say stuff about my post series now that Homestuck is semi-finished.
I originally intended to make this post series once Homestuck is over, because with that, the posts wouldn’t feel incomplete with inaccurate predictions or stuff I could say now but couldn’t have said back before the comic ended. The comic was supposed to be fully finished when I started this post series, with all plot points resolved.
Except the plot points aren’t solved. We still don’t know:
- what happened to Lord English
- the full story of Caliborn’s timeline and how he became Lord English
- the deal with the cherub universe vs. the one the kids created
- the full story of how Gamzee’s timeline went down (like what happened to him after we last saw him in [S] Collide?)
- what events came before and after Caliborn’s Masterpiece, or where exactly (like from which timeline) the kids there came from
- what ultimately happened to the Green Sun or the god tier version of Calliope
- the purpose of destroying the Green Sun
- what Vriska and company did with the magic chest
- whether Vriska and the other trolls will too settle on Earth
- what’s going to happen to the ghosts from Game Over
- which ships will be canon in the end (this is kind of a joke thing, but seriously, that sort of thing is usually answered in the end of stories like this*)
- what happened to all the sprites
- what happened to (John)
- what happened to everyone else who didn’t enter the victory door (Ms. Paint, Jack Noir, the Felt, whoever else)
- the whole deal with Karkat’s supposed universe leadership role which the flash didn’t address at all
- the ramifications of Terezi gaining pre-retcon memories
- the thing of restoring the troll race (or the human race for that matter)
- what all the classes and aspects mean for our resident theorists
- probably some other stuff I forgot to list
- to say nothing of the smaller plot points that have been hanging for a while (here’s a list someone made of unresolved plot points).
- and to say nothing of character interactions we’ve been hoping would happen but haven’t gotten yet. When will Jade get her touching young guardian reunion? When will Jade have her dialogue reunions with everyone else for that matter? When will the alpha kids, with their absolute social trainwreck, have their grand reconciliation?
* For one thing, it was practically guaranteed at this point that John would get together with Roxy by the end. The Act 7 flash kind of implied this? But only kind of.